Monday, September 11, 2006

Wow! I finally have a minute to update my blog! Sorry for being a slacker but this last two months have been crazy! In July and August I was all about the Cerner conversion at work. I worked 60-80 hours each week. We finally went live with the new system on August 27th. I wish I could say it was flawless. The biggest problems were with security accesses and we had some printer issues. It was very frustrating for the staff. We had extra staffing but it's hard to concentrate on patient care and new computer charting. A few tempers flaired and the tension was thick at times but each day got better. I'm off for two weeks now and I'm curious to see how things are when I get back. We have a smart group of people so I'm sure they did fine.

I just got back from visiting family with mom and dad. We had a great time. I drove to Atlanta and picked them up. The next day we drove to Kentucky, checked in to our motel and went to Possum Trot. Possum Trot, for anyone who has not heard about it from me, is in Clay County, Kentucky. It's a little place in the mountains, on 300 acres, that has 2 "barricks" (one for the men, one for the women) two outhouses, outdoor shower, indoor and outdoor cooking area, and a fire is always going (thanks to my uncles). My dad has 12 brothers and sisters and they all meet there once a year for a reunion. Most of them stay the week and the cousins and more distant relatives come and go. There's always good food and stories to hear. We visited there Thursday. On Friday, we drove to Indiana to see my mom's two sisters. Ollie had a shoulder fracture 5 weeks ago is not doing very well. She was in a lot of pain so we didn't stay very long. Then we drove to Lexington to visit with my uncle Stanley. My sister and her kids met us there. He's got a beautiful place there and lives in the midst of the horse farms. Lexington has got to be the most beautiful place on earth.

The next day was the big day at Possum Trot. Everyone gathers at 8am for the "Testamonial". The 12 brothers and sisters form a circle and each person (oldest to youngest) stands up and tells everyone what has happened in their lives during the last year and what they are thankful for. Here is a picture:



After they were done, then the nieces, nephews, and grandchildren did the same (in order of age). It is very touching and makes you very thankful.

After the Testamonial, we had a big breakfast then we went on a "tour". We drove around to where my dad grew up. We saw his little school, church, house in the mountains. My 2nd cousin lives in the house they grew up in.



We visited with him for a while then stopped at an old country store and had a moon pie and RC cola. Then we went to Oneida and walked across an old swingin' bridge. My uncle, Sam, couldn't resist swinging the bridge as we crossed it. That really added to the experience.



Here are some more views from the swinging bridge:


Then we went to the cemetary where my grandparents and other family members are buried. Every 2nd Sunday in September (during the Possum Trot reunion) there is a "Meetin' on the Hill". That's where the family gathers in the cemetary and there is a service. We missed it this year. As you can see, the cemetary is in a beautiful place on a hill.


The girls went shopping later that afternoon. We stayed away from Manchester because they were having a "Hallaluyah" festival. We went to a few places outside of town and quit. It was pretty depressing. The Applalachian mountains is a poor area. There are some rich people but mostly really poor people. We went to the "Bargain Barn". There, literally, among the junk, were two pair of used sneakers for sale on the shelf. My first thought was "WTF"? But, then it was really sad to think that if you don't have shoes, those used sneakers are worth a fortune.

Then, we returned to Possum Trot to get ready for supper. On Saturday night, they prepare a big meal and all our extended family in the area come up and they bring covered dishes. Here is a picture of Rachel and Katherine learning how to make dumplings:



While I was there, I got to taste some "Moonshine". I'm surprised that it actually was pretty good. That's all I'll say about that topic.

Kentucky is such a beautiful state. Every morning, there was a fog in the mountains. We saw lots of cows, goats, and horses. The mountains and the gardens were incredible. The people are all friendly.

We drove back to Atlanta on Sunday. Mom and Dad are good to travel with. I feel really bad that I gave mom my cold. I went out with Sue, my best friend in Atlanta, on Sunday night and caught up on all the news. Everyone needs a friend like Sue. We will be best friends until we die. We may not talk to each other for 3-4 months, but when we do, it's like we haven't missed a beat.

Then, I drove home to Florida this morning. I have a day and a half turn around, then I'm heading to San Antonio for the ENA Conference (Emergency Nurse's Association). That should be fun. I love Texas. I hope I get to see some cowboys!

That's it. I'll try to do better with my posting!

2 Comments:

Blogger Max said...

I want to here more about the moonshine experiance.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Max said...

I want to here more about the moonshine experiance.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home