Monday, March 13, 2006

Well, another Bike Week is over. This was the deadliest Bike Week ever. 18 bikers died. There were many more accidents.There were many reasons for this. Some were hit by autos at no fault of their own. But, some were being careless...riding too fast, passing, show-dogging it. My personal view is that so many "yuppies" are buying Harley's and they don't know how to ride them.

We rode around a bit and went to the Iron Horse a few times. US 1 in Ormond is really hopping these days. Daytona Beach was being difficult with vendors, the Harley dealership, and motorcycle organizers so the dealership said "screw 'em" and they built a huge Harley complex at US 1 and I-95 in Ormond Beach. The Iron Horse, Broken Spoke and now the Boot Hill are all up in that area. Someone said this area is the "New Main Street". I'm sure Daytona is losing a lot of revenue. Serves them right! They keep trying to push out special events. Well, guess what folks, Bike Week means M-O-N-E-Y!!! We stood in front of Dave's Auto (by the Iron Horse) and watched all the bikes, trucks, hummers, and RV's roll by. These guys spare no expense. There was a lot of money rolling down US 1!!!

Otherwise, I've been doing yard work. I worked in the back yard for about 6 hours yesterday. It's amazing how rapidly things grow. I had to pull out 50% of the ferns to get them under control. They're pretty but they grow like weeds! The elephant ears also grow like crazy. I bet I pulled out about 75 of them. I moved a big Hibiscus bush from the west fence to the back. I hope it gets enough sun there. I'm trying to clear some spots to plant vegetables. This year, I'm going to experiment. It's amazing that for such a small yard, a plant can flourish in one spot and die in another. I guess it all depends on the sun exposure. I'm going to plant vegetables in different spots throughout the yard and see where they grow the best.

I relocated the bird feeder to be closer to the house. I put it on the west side of the house so it can be seen through the kitchen window. However, with the Avian Flu coming, I don't know if that's a smart idea. I can always take it down. They say the Avian Flu is about to cross over into Alaska via migratory birds. I saw a map of the countries that already have infected birds. I forget just how close the tip of Russia is to Alaska. Holy Moly! It's close. I'm going to stock up on some chicken (before they get kooties) like a good southern girl. What would life be like without fried chicken? BTW, here is an interesting fact.....did you know that ALL flu originated from birds? Anyway, I hope everyone is paying attention to the Avian Flu and the possibility of a world wide pandemic. A good site to read is www.fluwikie.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home